6.4.05

"Remind me to send him a red cap and a Speedo..."

In perfect holiday style I went to the movies. I saw the new Wes Anderson movie "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou", and to my delight found it completely delightful! It was ludicrous, funny and nutty. However, it was not as good as Anderson's previous flick "The Royal Tenebaums" (which I loved). What I was most excited about, though, was the trailer I saw before the movie (which is not to say that I wasn't excited about the movie, I was, I just found the trailer excited too). It was the trailer for a movie called "Sin City". I think the movie is based on a comic or something from a comic (not being a comic fan, I wouldn't know). But, lately I have been wondering why more modern movie makers forget that black and white films can be great. The use of light and dark in films like "Citizen Kane", "Psycho" and "The Third Man" are awesome. I always wondered why modern directors/cinematographers didn't 'embrace' the black and white medium - it would be such fun to play with! Then... I saw the trailer for "Sin City" and, lo and behold, a black and white movie. Given, it has been made in 'comic book' style and that is the reason for the (not complete, by the way) lack of colour, but I was still very excited! And it was completely done digitally. The whole movie was shot in a back lot in front of a green screen, and the backdrops were added post-production. I am muchly looking forward for this movie to be released (in Australia) and look forward to seeing it - yay for black and white movies!

I must also admit, in holiday style, and with absolutely no regret, that I, Jem, have been a vegetable for most of the holidays so far. I have been out at some point in the day on less than half of my holiday days. I, with absolute relaxation on the agenda, love the holidays! I was talking to my cousin, who has a personality pretty much the opposite of mine, about this use of holiday time. She was commenting how even when she has a free day from uni, if she doesn't go out and do something she gets very bored. But it is my nature to adore the 'alone' time. I love vegeing and have no apologise for doing nothing! While I do love being with people, I think I am introverted and thus too much time having to worry about awkward silences and being 'chirpy' really starts to piss me off and make me grumpy. So here's to the days when I am so totally allowed to do nothing - cause I can! Ha!

No comments: