20.6.05

changes...

Yesterday I was at a friends birthday party and one of their close family friends arrived. I have met her many times because I have been to many of this family's get togethers, so I know her. What I didn't know is that she has cancer. Last time I saw her she didn't, and this time she did. So much had changed. She looked fine, except she had shaved her hair short - otherwise she looked completely fine. I only properly realised what was going on when they started talking about chemo... I felt out of the loop. They were very considerate, didn't make a fuss. And I realised that in, maybe, five months (the last time I saw her) how so much could change. And for me, in five months I will have graduated from high school and be looking to the future. And five months after that I will be starting tertiary education (fingers crossed) and life will be completely different. So completely different.

"Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced."
-- James Arthur Baldwin

No comments: