27.6.05

party princess...

Birthday party stories:

Last night was Hannah's 18th birthday party. I would say there were about 30 people there, but at different times in the night. There was the school friends, the choir friends, the High boys, and the family. The youngest was 14 and the oldest was 24-ish (excluding the mum). I think everyone had fun, I know I did. Except for the lovely little falling incident.

Meaghan, Megan and I decided to get some awesome presents for her - 19 in all. And they were all wrapped in tissue paper with lots of glitter and confetti. We even warned Hannah to open the presents outside, which she did - and I think her mum was extra happy that Han took our advice, because there was glitter everywhere. One of the presents we gave her, which was thought was particularly witty, was a gnome. Hannah had said at various times when we asked her what she wanted for her birthday that she wanted a boyfriend, jokingly, but she still said it. So we bought her the gnome. When she opened it, we helped name it. The gnome ended up with the name of the guy she likes. Then when she was on to the last present, the card, she had a nice little pile of glitter in the envelope. I leant over onto two legs of the chair I was sitting on to flick the glitter up and cover her (just as we all had been doing to each other) and I lost my balance. I fell! Smack down onto the cement in her backyard. I didn't think I had hurt anything, even myself (which is not the case today) but that wasn't to be. When I stood up, and after everyone, kindly, and asked if I was ok we look to the ground. And there in many pieces was the gnome. The new 'boyfriend' had been smashed by me... I felt so aweful! She had only owned the poor thing for about 10 minutes, and I crushed him. We all laughed about it hysterically all night, but that didn't change the fact the I had broken the poor little thing. I have decided that I am going to get another gnome for Hannah, and I am going to make it a bit cool. If you have seen Amelie you will notice that I have stolen the idea. I am going to take photos of the new gnome in front of different backdrops and in different locations and send them to Hannah. Then he will come home - aftre visiting a few destinations and being on a little holiday, Hannah's new 'boyfriend' will come home!

During the night two slabs where finished. By 5 people. I'm not very experienced with parties, but that is the most that has been drunk at one that I have been to. Mind you, I am only 17 and haven't been to many parties where the drinkers weren't that parents, and the drink of choice was red wine - one bottle in a whole night. By the end some of them became quite silly, telling jokes that weren't particularly tasteful and giving people (me) hugs that probably weren't all that necessary. The hug was from Hannah's cousin who is my step-brothers mate, and I have known him for about three years. It was really quite interesting. I got a huge hug and a little monologue about how though we had to part, we would be in each others heart's forever. Then he realised that there were still cans of beer to be drunk and disappeared off to the esky.

At one point the party even had a guest with four wheels - a supermarket trolley. When the guys went off to by the slabs they brought back a trolley. Trolley rides started taking place up and down the backyard until being away from the little fire was too cold, then the trolley was just a chair.

The last funny story is evidence of just how small the town I live in is. Hannah invited three boys from her Physics class. One of them couldn't come, I later found out, so they had brought another friend of theirs to make up the three. When the boys arrived I was standing with some friends from school chatting and I here this "Hi Jemima" come from behind me. I turned around and in the dark I couldn't make out who it was. He yelled out his name, which I won't write here. I had gone to primary school with him. I have known him since I was five years old. Was in his class in grade four and six (and I think grade five as well, but I can't quite remember). I couldn't believe it was him. He looks just like he did in primary school, still. I have bumped into him a few times around school, because he walks past my school to get to his. I couldn't believe that I was at a party that he happened to rock up to without knowing the 'party princess'/birthday girl. He was just a friend of the Physics boys. I suppose it is a regular occurence if you go to parties a bit, but I don't. The only parties I go to are my friends and most of there friends are from school or music things and I have met most of them. It was strange to me, even though everyone I have told hasn't thought of it as so strange...

The party was good, lots of laughing. Home late, slept in this morning then cleaned up my room all day - gosh it needed it! I didn't realise how dreaful it was, my cupboards where full of handbags and toys that I forgot I had, or have never used - so they are all now gone! And now, I have a roast in the oven and Jack Johnson's new CD playing - I'm in a great mood!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh wow...

I'm procrastinating at the moment and since I deleted my old blog I thought I'd revisit high school for a bit and re-read yours.

The gnome boyfriend!! Oh my goodness!! I'd forgotten about that!! I'm in stitches of laughter!! And... and... and... Oh man. That was hilarious. Hahahahahahahahahaha.