5.5.05

happiness..or stress...

Happiness can come in the most interesting and exciting forms. The most recent exposure to happiness I have encountered was when my mum got her new boots from overseas. She has been looking for "the right pair of boots" for about four years and she finally found them in America. She ordered them and was waiting for about a month to see what they would look like "in person" and how they would feel on her little size 7 1/2 feet. They arrived! She carefully opened the box, with much love and anticipation, to find two black leather boots. With zips up the side and heels not-too-high they looked perfect. She put them on.. We all stood around her (my step-dad, my sister and I) waiting to see how she reacted - another let down wouldn't be nice.. To all of our delight they were perfect! She ran around the house in glee, laughing like a little girl with her new pair of party shoes on! Mum ran and got a skirt, stripped in the lounge room (to my sister and I's horror) and put the skirt and boots on. She then stood in front of the full length mirror we have in our hallway for the next half hour, trying on different skirts and different pants, looking lovingly at how each piece of clothing was complimented perfectly by her beautiful new boots. Once my sister, step-dad and I had gone off to our respective rooms in the house to get to homework and other work, mum decided to give each of us a personal fashion show. She knocked excitedly on the door, thrust it open, danced in and said "Look!" She followed this exclamation with a little happy dance, then danced out of the room onto the next family member. She had even decided she would wear her new shoes to bed. Thankfully, she had had a long day at work so she finally gave us some peace when she fell asleep.

The next morning she came running down the stairs from her room saying "Look at what I'm wearing today!" She did another happy dance and stood in front of the mirror for another little while. So very deliriously happy was she!!

Then on the other hand, there is the lovely little piece of stress I was handed today.. We were told at the very start of the year that the documentation part of our huge media final would be due at the end of second term/first semester. Today, after the teacher realised the mistake she had made, she changed the due date from the end of term to the end of unit three - three weekds earlier. The uproar in the classroom was astounding! Some students haven't started, some had. Luckily, I wasn't as stressed as others because I have started to plan the piece a little bit - but not enough for it to be due in four weeks!

Eeek..

On top of that I have another media assignment due in one and a half weeks which today I realised was actually a whole lot more work than I expected it to be. I must admit, though, the reason that it is so much is all my fault. We had to choose two techniques or elements to print or photography that we needed a bit more practice on for the final at the end of the year. I decided to look at lighting/colour and typography/colour. I thought it would be really interesting to look at the effect the colour of the image and the font/colour or the text on the front of a magazine has on what the reader expects of the magazine. I have been writing my intention/proposal now for just under 3 hours, and it is nowhere near finished. Then I have to shoot it, and compile it all. Then right an evaluation.. And none of it is really meant to be done outside of class time..

Whinge, whinge, whinge.. I should really just get off the net and onto my work, hey?

No comments: